Lead Servant Eddie D. Smith, Sr. was born to the parentage of the late Rev. Jack Smith, Jr. and Mrs. Mattie Mae Smith in Macon, Georgia. A graduate of the Bibb County public school system; Fort Valley State College in Fort Valley, GA (Bachelor of Science & Master of Science degrees), Pastor Smith went on to work for fourteen years in the Bibb County public school system as a Teacher and a Media Specialist. On August 6, 1972 he accepted the pastorate of Macedonia Baptist Church in Macon, GA.
While pastoring, Pastor Smith has served on the Macon City Council (1975 – 1978) as well as served two consecutive terms on the Bibb County Board of Education. In addition to the aforementioned boards, Pastor Smith has also served on the following: the United Way Board of Directors, American Cancer Society, Macon Ministerial Association, Macon Police and Firefighter Disciplinary Hearing Board and other Ministerial Affiliates.
Pastor Smith & His Achievements
Since at Macedonia, Pastor Smith has had many accomplishments, such as:
- Adopting the biblical method for financing God’s church through tithes and offerings only;
- Establishing an Audio-Video Ministry which has extended Macedonia’s outreach through mass media (television, radio, and Internet);
- Recorded 3 albums entitled, “The Gospel According to the Birds” , “I Know I’ve Been Changed”, and Eddie D. Smith Sr. LIVE in Concert;
- Has licensed, ordained, and/or authorized 37 ministers and deacons;
- Lead the Macedonia Church into its present location at 600 Eisenhower Parkway in 1998
- Implemented a new cell group model of church organization known as Family Life Ministry in February of 2006
- Successfully renovated the Praise & Worship Center, dedicating it during the week of August 19th 2006
- Honored with the prestigious Gardner C. Taylor Preaching Award by the Morehouse School of Religion at the Interdenominational Theological Center, Atlanta, Ga., in December 2015.
Pastor Eddie D. Smith, Sr. is the father to five adult children: Suwandia; Eddie, Jr.; Corey, the late Alvy Smith and the late Edwanna Smith Stephens; and the grandfather of eleven. He is married to Mrs. Martha Kate Smith of Macon, GA.